The IEEE WIE Family Cares Grant Program was established to promote and enable attendance at IEEE conferences, especially by persons whose financial obligations to care for family members may prevent their attendance, by covering the cost of their family care responsibilities (children, seniors, disabled) up to $1,000 USD.
Submissions Open: 31 January 2024
Submissions Close: 11 March 2024
The IEEE WIE Committee will be responsible for administering the grant.
This grant will be available to all IEEE members of any grade, of any gender, based on need and the desire to attend an IEEE conference and have competing family care responsibilities. These responsibilities can include but are not limited to, childcare, sick care, and elderly care. Applicants can apply each year, however, applicants who have not previously received the IEEE WIE Family Cares Grant will be given priority and a recipient may only receive this grant once every three years.
The grant shall be a maximum of $1,000 USD per grant recipient. Grants less than $1,000 USD may be awarded depending on the applicant’s estimated or actual expenses.
To measure the eligibility, the following is needed:
- Submission of a narrative proposal from the applicant summarizing their need and describing their financial responsibilities which can also include supplemental letters, at their own discretion, from a person of authority indicating that the applicant has the need to care for a family member who cannot be left unattended, and in the absence of the applicant, an alternative support is essential.
- One letter of recommendation from a Section Chair, Affinity Group Chair, colleague, or IEEE member who can attest to their needs and narrative of the applicant.
- The applicant must disclose if they have received any family grant from another source within IEEE. It is recommended that an applicant attending a Society/Regional sponsored Conference, should first apply for family grant funding from the Society/Regional Organizational entity, if available, and if not awarded they can apply for funding from the IEEE WIE FCGP.
- An applicant with a paper acceptance decision letter from the conference will be given priority.
- To ensure efficient use of the fund in case the grant recipient is unable to use it, alternative eligible applicant(s) will be selected internally during the application evaluation and selection process to make the grant available to them in the future.
- If the grant recipient has a last-minute cancellation, the alternative eligible applicant(s) will be notified regarding the grant opportunity. In the event the alternative eligible applicant(s) is unable to use the grant, the grant amounts will be returned to the pool and awarded in the next cycle.
- An applicant can apply each year but cannot receive this grant more than once every three years. However, applicants who have not previously received the IEEE WIE Family Cares Grant will be given priority.
- Applicants must be a current IEEE member and be in at least their second year of continuous IEEE membership.
- Applications must be submitted at least three (3) months prior to the conference or event.
- Final reimbursement is dependent on the submission of a post-event activity report submitted by the recipient within 30 days after the conclusion of the conference. A completed expense report must be submitted through Concur with auditable receipts. NOTE: For any family care costs incurred by the applicant, the applicant must ensure auditable/verifiable receipts.
The following conferences/events are not eligible for the grant:
- IEEE Regional Annual General Meeting,
- IEEE WIE International Leadership Conference (ILC),
- IEEE WIE International Leadership Summit (ILS)