IEEE WIE Committee Description
The IEEE Women in Engineering Committee (WIEC) reports to the Member and Geographic Activities (MGA) Board through the MGA Member Engagement and Life Cycle Committee (MELCC).
- WIE Mission: To facilitate the recruitment and retention of women in technical disciplines globally.
- WIE Vision: A vibrant community of IEEE women and men collectively using their diverse talents to innovate for the benefit of humanity.
- Recognize women’s outstanding achievements in IEEE Fields of Interest through IEEE Awards nominations and other national/international award nominations.
- Organize receptions workshops and forums at major technical conferences to enhance networking and to promote membership in WIE.
- Advocate women in leadership roles in IEEE governance and career advancement for women in the profession.
- Provide assistance with the formation of new WIE Affinity Groups and support ongoing activities.
- Administer the IEEE Student-Teacher and Research Engineer/Scientist (STAR) Program to mentor young women in junior high school and high school.
- Promote member grade advancement for women to the grades of Senior Member and Fellow.
- Facilitate the development of programs and activities that promote the entry into and retention of women in engineering programs.
- Voting Members:
- Chair, Past Chair, three (3) Members-at-Large, Young Professional Representative, Technical Activities Representative, WIE Affinity Group Representative, WIE Student Branch Affinity Group Representative
- Non-Voting Members:
- Region Coordinators from Regions 1 through 10, appointed by the individual Region Director
- Society Coordinators, appointed by the individual Society/Council President
- IEEE Major Boards other than Technical Activities and MGA may appoint one (1) liaison each to the WIEC
- Additional IEEE organizational units, with interest in coordinating joint activities and facilitating programs which align with WIEC’s purpose, and other professional organizations with similar interests and programs, may appoint a liaison.