If you are interested in volunteering with IEEE WIE, the best place to get started is with your local IEEE WIE Affinity Group. Affinity Groups provide an opportunity for members to participate in local activities and network. Opportunities include coordinating events, mentoring, or serving as an officer.
If there is no Affinity Group in your area, you can start one in your Section or Student Branch by recruiting six other IEEE Members willing to be part of the Affinity Group and then submitting a petition.
Contact your local Affinity Group to discuss volunteer opportunities.
Review this page to learn more about how to plan successful events for your Women In Engineering (WIE) Affinity Group, how to recruit new volunteers, and how to complete the required reporting. No IEEE WIE Affinity Group in your area? This page also includes information on how to start a new IEEE WIE Affinity Group and the benefits associated.
Benefits of forming a IEEE WIE Affinity Group
- Opportunity to network on a local level
- Get Free Web site hosting
- Apply for funding for events and activities. (Request must be submitted and approved by the IEEE WIE Committee.)
- Option to announce regional news and upcoming events in the IEEE WIE Newsletter and the IEEE WIE Web pages. Send all postings to email@example.com
- Free IEEE WIE membership promotional items for affinity group meetings and events
How to form a IEEE WIE Affinity Group
Forming an affinity group is the best way to interact and share information with others with similar interests in your local area. There are two types of affinity group formations:
- Section Affinity Group for members
- Student Branch Affinity Group
To form an Affinity Group:
- recruit six IEEE members willing to be part of the founding affinity group;
- select someone to be responsible for the affinity group until the first meeting is held and the Officers are formally appointed;
- obtain your Section or Student Branch’s Executive Committee’s approval (an Affinity Group depends administratively and financially on the Section);
Affinity Group required reporting
Affinity Groups are required to submit meeting, financial, and officer reports to IEEE MGA. Further information and report forms are available through IEEE Member and Geographic Activities.
Recruiting volunteers for a IEEE WIE Affinity Group
IEEE Member and Geographic Activities (MGA) has a volunteer recruitment tool kit available. It has been developed to provide IEEE Units (Regions, Sections, Societies, Chapters, or Affinity Groups) with ideas for recruiting local IEEE members who may be interested in volunteering their time to help lead IEEE activities.