IEEE WIE Affinity Group Best Practices
IEEE WIE Affinity Groups can use these best practices to help plan their activities for the year.
- Plan for the year: Hold your first meeting of the year and begin planning your yearly activities.
- Welcome and Membership Drive: Organize a IEEE WIE welcome reception for new students and your campus community.
- International Women’s Day: Celebrate March 8 (International Women’s Day) – host an event on campus and invite inspiring women to speak.
- Women in Workshop: Connect with your local student society chapters and organize a technical activity such as “Women in …” Workshop.
- Technical Visit: Promote a technical visit to a local industry site.
- Plan an event to celebrate International Women in Engineering Day in June.
- Female Entrepreneurship: Connect with your local student society chapters and Young Professional Affinity Group and organize a talk about Female Entrepreneurship.
- Learn about the history of women in STEM: Encourage volunteers to read a book that addresses the theme “Women in STEM”, share the histories and promote a discussion about each history. Watch a movie on women in STEM.
- Encourage young girls: Promote an IEEE WIE STAR based initiative with a local junior high and/or high schools.
- Leadership Development: Connect with your local student society chapters and Young Professional Affinity Group organize a talk about Leadership Development for Women.
- End-of-year meeting: Organize a group meeting to review activities conducted during the year and recognize volunteers.